K Rajendra Kumar new DGP of Jammu and Kashmir
Srinagar: Senior IPS officer K Rajendra Kumar was Wednesday appointed as the new Director General of Jammu and Kashmir police, replacing Ashok Prasad who has been appointed as the Special Director of the Intelligence Bureau.
A 1984 batch IPS officer, Kumar`s appointment was cleared at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah here, officials said.
They said the Cabinet accorded sanction to Prasad`s repatriation to the Intelligence Bureau in New Delhi as the Centre had asked the state to relieve him after the completion of the Lok Saba election process.
Kumar, who hails from Andhra Pradesh, has held several positions like SSP Srinagar, IGP Jammu, IGP Kashmir and IGP CID and was presently Special Director General of Police (Coordination), Police Headquarters.
He has also served as interim DGP of the State for a short duration in 2012 after the retirement of Kuldeep Khoda, who now heads the State Vigilance Commission (SVC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks
- 33 killed in renewed clashes across Yemen
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'