Kargil- A place where once the guns blazed
New Delhi: The land of incomparable scenic beauty and snow, and of memories of the last Indo-Pak conflagration, Kargil is now opening its arms to a first of its kind film festival that will speak about people of little known territories and their seldom talked about issues.
`Awam Ka Cinema`, a movement of grassroot cinema that started from Ayodhya in 2006, is taking its caravan of stories to the high altitude Ladakh territory for a two-day film festival starting tomorrow.
While most Indians associate Kargil with little more than the 1999 conflict, the people associated with the movement want to redefine the image of the border region.
"Some remarkable and meaningful films will be showcased during the festival. This film festival will prove to be an unusual gift for the people of Ladakh," an organiser from the Kargil Film Society said.
The screening list for the festival includes 21 short films -- documentaries, fiction as well as two animations -- that will be showcased at the Indoor Stadium Hall in Kargil over the next two days.
The aim of the festival is to reach out to the people of the area, which is cut off from the outside world for six months because of snow, and establish a link for regular exchanges and sharing of ideas.
The group believes that meaningful cinema which focuses on social issues has relatively limited audience which is often scattered in different areas, making it difficult for filmmakers who chose to make such films to reach out to their audience.
For this reason, the organisers hold film festivals in smaller cities and regions. Even the contributors are budding film makers who do not get exposure in larger festivals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?