Kargil freezes at -17, rain, snow forecast in Kashmir
Srinagar: Ladakh`s Kargil town was the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir at minus 16.8 degrees on Thursday and Kashmir Valley is expected to receive light rain and snowfall during the next 24 hours, the Met Office said on Friday.
Met Office director Sonam Lotus told a news agency on Friday: "There has been light snowfall in Leh town during the night and we are expecting very light snowfall during the next 24 hours at places in the Kashmir Valley."
"Rainfall is expected in the Jammu region during the next 24 hours. The weather is likely to improve after this period," Lotus said.
The minimum temperature was minus 0.2 degree Celsius in Srinagar, minus 8.4 in Gulmarg, minus 5.7 in Pahalgam and 9 degrees in Jammu city on Friday.
Leh town in Ladakh region recorded the temperature of minus 6.9 degrees Celsius.
The weather conditions in the state improved after the 40-day harsh period of winter, called the Chilla Kalan, ended January 31.
With water bodies no longer frozen, migratory birds are wading and swimming in these like athletes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?