Kargil freezes at -17, rain, snow forecast in Kashmir
Srinagar: Ladakh`s Kargil town was the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir at minus 16.8 degrees on Thursday and Kashmir Valley is expected to receive light rain and snowfall during the next 24 hours, the Met Office said on Friday.
Met Office director Sonam Lotus told a news agency on Friday: "There has been light snowfall in Leh town during the night and we are expecting very light snowfall during the next 24 hours at places in the Kashmir Valley."
"Rainfall is expected in the Jammu region during the next 24 hours. The weather is likely to improve after this period," Lotus said.
The minimum temperature was minus 0.2 degree Celsius in Srinagar, minus 8.4 in Gulmarg, minus 5.7 in Pahalgam and 9 degrees in Jammu city on Friday.
Leh town in Ladakh region recorded the temperature of minus 6.9 degrees Celsius.
The weather conditions in the state improved after the 40-day harsh period of winter, called the Chilla Kalan, ended January 31.
With water bodies no longer frozen, migratory birds are wading and swimming in these like athletes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre