Kargil freezes, Kashmir Valley shivers
Srinagar: Night temperatures across the Valley remained below the freezing point Friday as the weather office said minimum temperatures are likely to drop further. Kargil town recorded minus 19.8 degrees Celsius.
An official of the weather department said the minimum temperature was minus 1.6 degrees in Srinagar, it was minus 7.8 in Pahalgam, minus 11.0 in Gulmarg, minus 14.2 in Leh and minus 19.8 in Kargil town of Ladakh region.
"The minimum temperature was 3.7 degrees Celsius in Jammu city which is three degrees below normal.
"At minus 19.8 degrees, Kargil town was the coldest in Jammu and Kashmir today (Friday).
"Night temperatures are likely to drop further in the Valley during the next 48 hours because of clear night skies and dry weather," Sonam Lotus, director of the local Met Office said here.
After many years, long icicles hanging from rooftops in summer capital Srinagar and other towns and villages reminded locals of the good old days.
Thick frost and highly slippery roads forced private motorists and public transport operators to remain indoors in the morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested