Kargil freezes, Kashmir Valley shivers
Srinagar: Night temperatures across the Valley remained below the freezing point Friday as the weather office said minimum temperatures are likely to drop further. Kargil town recorded minus 19.8 degrees Celsius.
An official of the weather department said the minimum temperature was minus 1.6 degrees in Srinagar, it was minus 7.8 in Pahalgam, minus 11.0 in Gulmarg, minus 14.2 in Leh and minus 19.8 in Kargil town of Ladakh region.
"The minimum temperature was 3.7 degrees Celsius in Jammu city which is three degrees below normal.
"At minus 19.8 degrees, Kargil town was the coldest in Jammu and Kashmir today (Friday).
"Night temperatures are likely to drop further in the Valley during the next 48 hours because of clear night skies and dry weather," Sonam Lotus, director of the local Met Office said here.
After many years, long icicles hanging from rooftops in summer capital Srinagar and other towns and villages reminded locals of the good old days.
Thick frost and highly slippery roads forced private motorists and public transport operators to remain indoors in the morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’