Kargil to find place on `world map of tourism`
Srinagar: After hitting the headlines during Operation Vijay launched by the Indian Army to regain control of outposts taken over by Pakistan in 1999, Kargil district of frontier Ladakh region is on the path to find a place in world tourism.
"Kargil will be brought on the world map of tourism shortly after necessary infrastructure is developed in the district," senior government officials told a meeting chaired by Tourism Minister Nawang Ringzin Jora here.
The meeting, convened to review the functioning of Kargil and Leh Development Authorities, was informed that the main focus of the Kargil Development Authority is on the development of tourism-related infrastructure.
"The Kargil Development Authority is also focusing on exploiting tourism potential areas," a spokesman said, adding that river rafting, mountaineering and trekking will be encouraged.
The meeting was informed that Kargil Development Authority has submitted a proposal for an amount of about Rs eight crore under Circuit Development in Kargil, to the Centre for approval.
With regard to tourism activities in Leh, the meeting was informed that nearly 1.8 lakh tourists, including 36,662 foreigners, enjoyed their holiday in the region last year.
"Adventure tourism in Ladakh has gained much popularity in the recent times," the spokesman said.
The Tourism Development Authority, Leh, has taken up various works in the district at an estimated cost of Rs 11.02 crore under state sector during this year.
Under the Centre sector, works for an amount of Rs 18.21 crore have been taken up by the Authority, out of which several schemes have been completed and others are in final stages, the spokesman said.
Local youth are also being trained in the tourist trade to meet the growing demand of skilled manpower to run professional establishments.
"A Food Craft Institute has been approved for an amount of Rs 5.83 crore for which land measuring 24 kanals has been allotted," the spokesman said.
The meeting was attended by Minister of State for Tourism Nasir Aslam Wani, Chief Executive Councillor, Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council (LAHDC), Leh, Rigzin Spallbar, Chief Executive Councillor, LAHDC, Kargil, Kachoo Ahmad Ali Khan among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes