Kashmir: 3 killed, 30 injured in fresh protests
Srinagar: Three persons were killed and 30
others injured as violent protests continued at several places
in Kashmir Valley where curfew remained in force in Srinagar
and other major towns for the fifth successive day on Friday.
Five persons were injured when security forces allegedly
opened fire to disperse hundreds of people who defied curfew
and indulged in stone-pelting at Churpora village of Beerwah,
32 kms from here, in Budgam district, official sources said.
One of the critically injured identified as Fayaz Ahmad
Dar was rushed to SKIMS Medical College Hospital at Bemina
where he was declared brought dead by the doctors, they said.
Another youth Ghulam Rasool Bhat was killed and eight
others injured when security forces allegedly opened fire and
used pump action gun to chase away curfew-defying mob at
Tapper Payeen in Pattan, 30 kms from here in Baramulla
district, the sources said.
Bhat was taken to Sumbal sub-district hospital where he
succumbed to injuries, they said.
At Shirmal in Shopian, 52 kms from here, a huge mob set on
fire two forest huts, seized timber of forest department.
Security forces fired Pellet Action Guns (PAG) on the mob,
resulting in injuries to six persons, the sources said.
They said two of the injured were shifted to Pulwama
district hospital where one of them, identified as Imtiyaz
Ahmad Malla, succumbed to injuries.
With the fresh killings, the death toll in the ongoing
unrest, since June 11, in the Kashmir Valley has risen to 94.
Violent protests again broke out at Pattan and nearby
areas in the evening and in the subsequent firing, six persons
The condition of two of the injured, Javid Ahmad and
Shoukat Ahmad, was stated to be "critical", they said.
Three more persons were injured in clashes between
security forces and protestors at Sangrama, 45 km from here in
Baramulla district, they said, adding security forces
allegedly opened fire to bring the situation under control.
Another person identified as Mohammad Shafi was hit by a
bullet in the leg when security forces allegedly opened fire
after being attacked by a stone-pelting mob at Chichloora-
Magam, 25 kms from here, on Srinagar-Gulmarg road, they said.
Stone pelting incidents after Friday prayers were reported
from Padgampora-Awantipora in Pulwama district, Main Chowk
Sopore in Baramulla, Malik Masjid, Aalialpora and Shirmal in
Shopian district, Nagam-Kokernag, Khushipora and Dooru in
Anantnag district, the sources said.
The protestors were chased away by the security forces
using teargas shells and batons, they said adding three
persons were injured in the clashes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert