Kashmir calm, curfew lifted as Ramzan begins
Srinagar: After days of unrest and curfew, the situation in the Kashmir Valley was on Thursday calm with curfew being lifted from all the regions and a break in strikes called by separatists.
"The situation is peaceful throughout the Valley and curfew has been lifted from all parts," Inspector General Police (Kashmir Range) Farooq Ahmad told a news agency.
With the lifting of curfew coinciding with a separatists` announcement not to call for strike, shoppers flocked the markets and business establishments reopened in
Srinagar city and other parts of the Valley.
Traffic snarls were seen at many places as people came out to stock supplies particularly in view of the holy month of Ramzan which commenced from today.
Schools, colleges, banks and private offices reopened and public transport plied on the streets.
On August 10, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had sought to calm tensions in the Valley by urging Kashmiris "to give peace a chance". He held out the possibility of greater autonomy and vowed to address rampant unemployment.
The Valley was rocked by violence following the death of a teenager on June 11 after allegedly being hit by a teargas shell at Gani stadium near Rajouri Kadal. After that
street protests continued in the Valley which claimed 52 lives.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre