Kashmir firing: Govt will inquire says Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today said government will inquire into the circumstances in which a youth was killed, allegedly in security forces firing, in Baramulla district.
"It is too early to comment on the incident as there are multiple versions coming out about it. We are looking into the matter," Omar, who arrived here from Jammu, told reporters.
Ashiq Hussain, a resident of Lesar village in Rafiabad area of Baramulla district, 75 kms from here, died after being hit by a bullet at around 9.00 PM last night.
The Chief Minister said he will see whether the standard operating procedure was followed by the security forces while
laying the ambush in area.
Local residents, who have blocked the Sopore-Kupwara road, alleged that Hussain was killed in firing by Army
personnel who were present in the area.
The residents staged protests against the killing. They have refused to bury the body of the youth so far, demanding
the arrest of the army personnel allegedly involved in the killing, officials said. They said the protestors were also demanding removal of
the army camp in their area.
A defence spokesman, in a statement issued last night, said troops of 32 Rashtriya Rifles and police had launched a
joint operation following information about presence of militants in the area.
"At about 9.00 PM, some firing was reported and it is believed that a civilian has been killed in the firing. Due to darkness there are problems in ascertaining the details at present," the spokesman said.
The defence spokesman, on Saturday, said he had no further information about the incident that already made public on Friday.
Minister of State for Home Nasir Aslam Wani and Director General of Police Kuldeep Khoda have reached Baramulla
district headquarters and are monitoring the situation, official sources said.
They said the Chief Minister is also likely to visit the village later in the day. PTI
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!