Kashmir fratricide: Three CRPF troopers killed
Srinagar: Three paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were killed and one critically wounded in a fratricidal shootout in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday, police said.
"An altercation broke out between some jawans of the 18th Battalion of CRPF inside their Kulgam camp, and they opened fire at each other," a senior police officer said.
"Four jawans were injured in the shootout. While three succumbed to injuries, the fourth has been shifted to Srinagar for treatment."
Police said the jawans involved in the shootout were CRPF drivers.
Senior police and CRPF officers have rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
Fratricidal shootouts have taken place many times in the past as well within the security forces doing counter insurgency duties in Jammu and Kashmir during the last two decades.
Continued separation from family, long duty hours, lack of recreational facilities, poor command and control structure have been cited as reasons for such incidents by counsellors engaged to address the problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM