Kashmir fratricide: Three CRPF troopers killed
Srinagar: Three paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were killed and one critically wounded in a fratricidal shootout in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday, police said.
"An altercation broke out between some jawans of the 18th Battalion of CRPF inside their Kulgam camp, and they opened fire at each other," a senior police officer said.
"Four jawans were injured in the shootout. While three succumbed to injuries, the fourth has been shifted to Srinagar for treatment."
Police said the jawans involved in the shootout were CRPF drivers.
Senior police and CRPF officers have rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
Fratricidal shootouts have taken place many times in the past as well within the security forces doing counter insurgency duties in Jammu and Kashmir during the last two decades.
Continued separation from family, long duty hours, lack of recreational facilities, poor command and control structure have been cited as reasons for such incidents by counsellors engaged to address the problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video