Kashmir fratricide: Three CRPF troopers killed
Srinagar: Three paramilitary Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) troopers were killed and one critically wounded in a fratricidal shootout in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday, police said.
"An altercation broke out between some jawans of the 18th Battalion of CRPF inside their Kulgam camp, and they opened fire at each other," a senior police officer said.
"Four jawans were injured in the shootout. While three succumbed to injuries, the fourth has been shifted to Srinagar for treatment."
Police said the jawans involved in the shootout were CRPF drivers.
Senior police and CRPF officers have rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
Fratricidal shootouts have taken place many times in the past as well within the security forces doing counter insurgency duties in Jammu and Kashmir during the last two decades.
Continued separation from family, long duty hours, lack of recreational facilities, poor command and control structure have been cited as reasons for such incidents by counsellors engaged to address the problem.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Sexism row: Rajiv Shukla to take up Chris Gayle's issue with BCCI, RCB management
- Picture blast! 'Housefull3' gang gate-crashed Asin's house at midnight
- Kseeb.kar.nic.in & Karresults.nic.in KSEEB 2nd II PUC Results 2016: Karnataka Board 12th XII Class, Second II PUC Exam Results 2016 to be announced today on May 25, 2016 at 4 PM
- Online petition seeking Raghuram Rajan's 2nd term goes viral; 42,000 votes and counting
- Mahabharata’s Bhima is related to Lord Hanuman – Here’s how