Kashmir freezing, Leh at minus 16.6
Srinagar: The minimum temperatures were below the freezing point in the Kashmir Valley including Srinagar, with Leh shivering at minus 16.6 degrees.
The minimum temperature was minus 4.5 degrees in Srinagar, minus 7.4 in Pahalgam in south Kashmir and minus 7.5 in Gulmarg, meteorological office director Sonam Lotus told reporters.
Leh in Ladakh region was the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir at minus 16.6 degrees. Kargil recorded minus 15.2 degrees, he added.
The temperature in Srinagar was minus 2.3 degrees Thursday.
The official said the weather would remain cold and dry across the valley and the Ladakh region during the next two days and there could be a further drop in the night temperatures.
But despite the severe cold, a good number of domestic tourists thronged Kashmir.
"Our main attraction for coming to Kashmir is to enjoy the snow. I plan to welcome the New Year in Gulmarg," said tourist Rakesh Pande.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen