Kashmir freezing, Leh at minus 16.6
Srinagar: The minimum temperatures were below the freezing point in the Kashmir Valley including Srinagar, with Leh shivering at minus 16.6 degrees.
The minimum temperature was minus 4.5 degrees in Srinagar, minus 7.4 in Pahalgam in south Kashmir and minus 7.5 in Gulmarg, meteorological office director Sonam Lotus told reporters.
Leh in Ladakh region was the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir at minus 16.6 degrees. Kargil recorded minus 15.2 degrees, he added.
The temperature in Srinagar was minus 2.3 degrees Thursday.
The official said the weather would remain cold and dry across the valley and the Ladakh region during the next two days and there could be a further drop in the night temperatures.
But despite the severe cold, a good number of domestic tourists thronged Kashmir.
"Our main attraction for coming to Kashmir is to enjoy the snow. I plan to welcome the New Year in Gulmarg," said tourist Rakesh Pande.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'