Kashmir freezing, Leh at minus 16.6
Srinagar: The minimum temperatures were below the freezing point in the Kashmir Valley including Srinagar, with Leh shivering at minus 16.6 degrees.
The minimum temperature was minus 4.5 degrees in Srinagar, minus 7.4 in Pahalgam in south Kashmir and minus 7.5 in Gulmarg, meteorological office director Sonam Lotus told reporters.
Leh in Ladakh region was the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir at minus 16.6 degrees. Kargil recorded minus 15.2 degrees, he added.
The temperature in Srinagar was minus 2.3 degrees Thursday.
The official said the weather would remain cold and dry across the valley and the Ladakh region during the next two days and there could be a further drop in the night temperatures.
But despite the severe cold, a good number of domestic tourists thronged Kashmir.
"Our main attraction for coming to Kashmir is to enjoy the snow. I plan to welcome the New Year in Gulmarg," said tourist Rakesh Pande.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on political reasons responsible for 50 days of Kashmir unrest
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Two dead, seven injured in stampede after fire in Murshidabad hospital
- RSS to start awareness campaign against changing name of WB
- What a pervert! Bijnor imam caught on camera during rape – Watch shocking video
- Defender Cedric Soares renews contract with Southampton until 2020
- Sakshi Malik, PV Sindhu, Dipa Karmakar, Pullela Gopichand to be gifted BMW cars