Kashmir: Gang of extortionists busted, 7 arrested
Pampore: Police on Saturday claimed to have
busted a gang of extortionists posing as `Al-Badr` militants
and demanding money from factory owners and landlords in south
Kashmir`s Awantipora region.
"We received complaints from people claiming that they
were getting threatening phone calls demanding money,"
Superintendent of Police Awantipora Muhammad Irshad told
"Seven people have been arrested so far," he said,
adding, police suspect the involvement of over a dozen persons
in the extortion racket.
The group of extortionists, active in Pampore and Khrew
localities of Awantipora police district, 21 kms from Srinagar
used to call people in a "non-Kashmiri accent" and pose as
Pampore is the saffron basket of Kashmir Valley and
Khrew is an industrial area where many entrepreneurs and
business houses have set up their units including cement
"The callers were posing themselves as Rehman Bhai,
Ubaid Bhai, Abdullah Bhai and Molvi Sahib - foreign militants
of Al Badr outfit," Irshad said.
After receiving the complaints about threatening calls
police put "suspected phone numbers under surveillance" and
zeroed in on the gang.
Police said the group was active in the area for more
than two years now.
"We are still working on how much money they have
extorted," Irshad said.
He said police has also arrested six burglars involved in
several night-time robberies in Pampore town.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes