Kashmir gets high security number plates
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Monday began fixing tamper proof number plates on vehicles in line with an apex court order.
The number plates will have a unique identification to allow the transport department to retrieve all details of any vehicle.
According to Regional Transport Officer Virender Slathia, the process started in Jammu and Srinagar while other districts would follow later.
Slathia said the number plates will be visible up to 150 metres and will glow at night.
Initially the plates are being fitted only on new vehicles.
"We will fix 150-200 plates daily on new vehicles while the plates on old vehicles will be replaced on dates to be notified later," said the officer.
Jammu and Srinagar cities have approximately half a million vehicles each plying on their streets.
Slathia cautioned that it would be impossible to fix new number plates on all vehicles in the state within two months as directed by the apex court. The company installing plates has a capacity to fix 500-700 plates a day.
With the new process, the sale of number plates in the open market would be banned.
The process is aimed at checking vehicle thefts and the faking of the number plates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials