Kashmir gets high security number plates
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Monday began fixing tamper proof number plates on vehicles in line with an apex court order.
The number plates will have a unique identification to allow the transport department to retrieve all details of any vehicle.
According to Regional Transport Officer Virender Slathia, the process started in Jammu and Srinagar while other districts would follow later.
Slathia said the number plates will be visible up to 150 metres and will glow at night.
Initially the plates are being fitted only on new vehicles.
"We will fix 150-200 plates daily on new vehicles while the plates on old vehicles will be replaced on dates to be notified later," said the officer.
Jammu and Srinagar cities have approximately half a million vehicles each plying on their streets.
Slathia cautioned that it would be impossible to fix new number plates on all vehicles in the state within two months as directed by the apex court. The company installing plates has a capacity to fix 500-700 plates a day.
With the new process, the sale of number plates in the open market would be banned.
The process is aimed at checking vehicle thefts and the faking of the number plates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre