Kashmir gets high security number plates
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Monday began fixing tamper proof number plates on vehicles in line with an apex court order.
The number plates will have a unique identification to allow the transport department to retrieve all details of any vehicle.
According to Regional Transport Officer Virender Slathia, the process started in Jammu and Srinagar while other districts would follow later.
Slathia said the number plates will be visible up to 150 metres and will glow at night.
Initially the plates are being fitted only on new vehicles.
"We will fix 150-200 plates daily on new vehicles while the plates on old vehicles will be replaced on dates to be notified later," said the officer.
Jammu and Srinagar cities have approximately half a million vehicles each plying on their streets.
Slathia cautioned that it would be impossible to fix new number plates on all vehicles in the state within two months as directed by the apex court. The company installing plates has a capacity to fix 500-700 plates a day.
With the new process, the sale of number plates in the open market would be banned.
The process is aimed at checking vehicle thefts and the faking of the number plates.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016
- Time flies! Emraan Hashmi reminisces four years of 'Jannat 2'
- Russia says bolstering forces to counter NATO