Kashmir gets season`s first major snowfall
Srinagar: The Kashmir Valley witnessed the season`s first major snowfall Thursday night, pushing the temperature below the freezing point in the region on Friday.
The minimum temperature at Gulmarg was minus 7.2 degrees Celsius, a weather official told a news agency. It was minus 5.2 at Pahalgam, minus 8.2 at Leh town and minus 5.2 at Kargil town.
In Srinagar, however, the minimum temperature was 3.1 degrees Celsius.
Higher areas in the Kashmir Valley received heavy snowfall.
Around three-feet of snow accumulated in the tourist resort of Sonamarg. Gulmarg was covered with a two-feet blanket of snow Friday morning. Pahalgam too received over two-feet of snow.
"The timely snowfall has replenished most of the snow reservoirs in the hills, which will ensure sufficient water discharge in the rivers, springs and other water resources in summer," an official here said.
The weather office has forecast a clear weather in the valley the next two days. The western disturbance that was active over the state has now weakened.
"The western disturbance has now weakened and we are expecting fair weather for the next few days," said Sonam Lotus, in-charge of the weather office here.
The western disturbance is the term used for an extra tropical storm in the Mediterranean Sea, which causes sudden and heavy rainfall in Pakistan, India, Nepal and Bangladesh.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata