Kashmir gunbattle enters 3rd day
Srinagar: The fierce gun battle between
militants and security forces in north Kashmir`s Kupwara
district entered its third day today as stiff resistance from
the ultras and harsh mountainous terrain hampered counter
"The gun battle in Kupwara has been going on for the last
48 hours. This is a dense forest and a tough mountainous area
with lots of natural caves where militants have barricaded
themselves," Brigadier General Staff of Army`s Srinagar-based
15 Corps, A L Chavan told reporters here.
So far, five militants, an Army officer and two policemen
have been killed in the fierce gunfight in Shamsabari forests,
The encounter broke out at Awathkul forest area of
Kralipora, 130 kms from here, on Monday when police assisted
by Army launched a search operation following information
about presence of heavily armed militants, they said.
Chavan said the body of Army officer Lt Sushil Khajuria
has been retrieved.
"He died after killing two militants from a close range
and was then attempting to retrieve the bodies of an injured
policeman and a trooper," he said.
Army sources said they believe the militants were six to
seven in number and were part of the LeT group which had
recently infiltrated from the Keran sector.
"We believe two militants are still fighting in the
cordon," Chavan said.
He said this year militants have made 24 infiltration
attempts from Keran sector in north Kashmir in which 26
militants have been killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read