Kashmir gunbattle enters 3rd day
Srinagar: The fierce gun battle between
militants and security forces in north Kashmir`s Kupwara
district entered its third day today as stiff resistance from
the ultras and harsh mountainous terrain hampered counter
"The gun battle in Kupwara has been going on for the last
48 hours. This is a dense forest and a tough mountainous area
with lots of natural caves where militants have barricaded
themselves," Brigadier General Staff of Army`s Srinagar-based
15 Corps, A L Chavan told reporters here.
So far, five militants, an Army officer and two policemen
have been killed in the fierce gunfight in Shamsabari forests,
The encounter broke out at Awathkul forest area of
Kralipora, 130 kms from here, on Monday when police assisted
by Army launched a search operation following information
about presence of heavily armed militants, they said.
Chavan said the body of Army officer Lt Sushil Khajuria
has been retrieved.
"He died after killing two militants from a close range
and was then attempting to retrieve the bodies of an injured
policeman and a trooper," he said.
Army sources said they believe the militants were six to
seven in number and were part of the LeT group which had
recently infiltrated from the Keran sector.
"We believe two militants are still fighting in the
cordon," Chavan said.
He said this year militants have made 24 infiltration
attempts from Keran sector in north Kashmir in which 26
militants have been killed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview