Kashmir gunbattle enters 4th day, jawan killed
Srinagar: The fierce gunbattle between militants and security forces in north Kashmir`s Kupwara district entered its fourth day Thursday even as an Army jawan
injured in the operation succumbed to injuries.
The jawan died last night, officials said.
A total of nine persons including five militants, an Army officer, a jawan and two policemen have been killed in the gunfight in Shamsabari forests, they said.
The encounter broke out at Awathkul forest area of Kralipora, 130 kms from here, on Monday when police assisted by Army launched a search operation following information about presence of heavily-armed militants.
Army sources believe the militants were six to seven in number and were part of the LeT group which had recently infiltrated from the Keran sector.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- India, Bangladesh enclave residents get freedom after 68 years