Kashmir legislators` salaries to go up
Jammu: Legislators in Jammu and Kashmir are set to get higher salaries in September as a pending bill seeking enhancement in their emoluments would be brought in the autumn session of the legislature.
The session is likely to take place sometime next month after the festival of Id-ul-Fitr, marking the end of the Muslim month of fasting of Ramadan.
According to official sources, the bill, which seeks to enhance the salaries of MLAs and MLCs, would be placed before the assembly in the next session.
Since there is general support for the bill in both houses of the state legislature, it is expected to be passed. The Lok Sabha on Friday passed a similar bill hiking the salary of MPs from Rs 16,000 to Rs 50,000.
The state legislators, as per the proposals of the bill, would be entitled to emoluments of Rs 60,000 per month as against Rs 40,000 they are getting presently.
The bill was introduced in the house in March this year, but it could not be taken up for discussion then because more than 4.5 lakh employees of the state government were on strike demanding implementation of the Sixth Pay Commission recommendations.
The employees had questioned the government`s proposal for hiking the salaries of legislators.
Now since the issue of payment of salaries and arrears for the employees has been settled, the bill would be taken up for discussion and passage in the next session of the legislature, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Cow slaughter should be banned across the country; Muslims should stop eating meat: Azam Khan
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!