Kashmir: No curfew, no shutdown
Srinagar: Curfew was lifted from the entire Kashmir Valley on Sunday as markets and banks opened after 10 days of restrictions and separatist-sponsored shutdowns.
"Curfew has been lifted from the Valley and there are no restrictions in place anywhere. We are closely monitoring the situation," a police officer said.
Despite being a public holiday, shops, banks and post offices opened early and public transport was also seen plying.
Authorities on Saturday evening lifted curfew from north Kashmir Ganderbal district, central Badgam district and also from Handwara town. Curfew was also lifted from nine police station areas in Srinagar city.
"I have spent all the money I had during the last 10 days. I asked a bank official if I could withdraw some money from my savings account and he said the bank would remain open today (Sunday). That is a big relief," said Nasir Ahmad, a retired engineer living in Srinagar`s Lal Bazar area.
The hardline Hurriyat group headed by Syed Ali Geelani has asked people to resume normal activities on Sunday and buy essential supplies in sufficient quantity as the group has issued another resistance calendar calling for protests and shutdowns beginning on Monday.
"Normalcy has become an aberration in the Valley while curfews and separatist shutdowns are the order of the day," said Nisar Hussain, a retired engineer.
The Kashmir Valley has been on the boil for more than 50 days due to violent protests against civilians being killed in firing by security forces.
As many as 49 civilians have been killed in firing by security forces in the cycle of violence that began June 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days