Kashmir police cadets turn violent
Srinagar: Cadets went on a nightlong rampage inside a police training school complex in Jammu and Kashmir smashing the property as well as vehicles on the Srinagar-Leh highway.
Scores of trainees at the Manigam police training school in the northern district of Ganderbal went on the nightlong rampage late Wednesday some 30 km from here. The violence subsided only Thursday morning.
The trainees shouted slogans against the school principal, alleging moral turpitude, financial corruption and use of abusive language.
The trainees also damaged canteens and window panes at the barracks. They later took to the Srinagar-Leh highway, forcing traffic to halt on the busy route.
Many of the protesters masked their faces with handkerchiefs. On the streets, they snapped the electricity lines, plunging the entire area into darkness.
Many of the trainees had been recruited during the government`s drive in old city areas of Srinagar to address the problems of unemployed youths.
Police sources said the trainees had been agitating against the delay in their passing out parade.
The nightlong rampage lasted till early Thursday. Senior police officers had a tough time pacifying the trainees.
The hue and cry raised by the trainees at night created panic and fear in the adjacent villages where residents wondered if separatist guerrillas had attacked the police training school.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'