Kashmir Police to approach Speaker for Shabir Ahmad Khan`s arrest
Jammu: As Jammu and Kashmir Police failed to arrest former minister Shabir Ahmad Khan before midnight Sunday, they would now have to take Speaker Mubarak Gul`s permission Monday for his arrest.
Although police raided three places, including the official residence of the former minister in Jammu Sunday, they are still clueless about Khan`s whereabouts. He has been accused by a woman doctor of sexually assaulting her.
The police were Monday expected to search the ex-minister`s ancestral residence in Rajouri town of Jammu region.
"We were not able to arrest the accused yesterday (Sunday) and unless he chooses to surrender himself voluntarily, we would have to seek the permission for his arrest from the honourable speaker of the state legislative assembly," a senior police officer told IANS.
This new twist to the arrest of the former minister, against whom arrest warrants have already been issued by the Srinagar chief judicial magistrate, comes because the assembly session begins here Monday.
Khan is a Congress legislator from the Rajouri assembly constituency and would be protected by the privileges rule of the state legislature when the assembly is in session.
The process of seeking permission is likely to delay the former minister`s arrest.
An First Information Report (FIR) was lodged against Shabir Ahmad Khan for sexual assault on a woman doctor Feb 7 at Shaheed Gunj police station in Srinagar.
Khan resigned from the state council of ministers Feb 8 and his whereabouts are since not known.
He sought an anticipatory bail Feb 8, and the plea is likely to be heard Monday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij