Kashmir reels under severe cold; Leh records -18.8
Srinagar: The cold wave sweeping Jammu and
Kashmir broke the season`s record on the New Year night as the
minimum temperature in Leh slipped nearly 19 degrees below
Leh town in the remote Ladakh region recorded the
season`s lowest temperature with the mercury settling at a low
of minus 18.8 degree Celsius, a drop of 0.4 degrees from
yesterday, an official of the MeT department said here.
In the adjoining Kargil town, the minimum temperature was
recorded at minus 16 deg C, a one degree drop from yesterday,
Srinagar witnessed a freezing minus 4.9 deg C, which for
the second time is the season`s lowest temperature here.
The drop in night temperature resulted in partial
freezing of Dal lake and other stagnant water bodies.
There has been a drastic drop in temperature since
`Chillai Kalan`, a forty-day period of extreme chilling
weather, began on December 21.
The skiing resort of Gulmarg, a star attraction for
tourists visiting the valley during winter, recorded a minimum
temperature of minus 8 deg C, an increase of one degree
compared the previous night, the official said.
Pahalgam tourist resort in south Kashmir recorded a
minimum of minus 7 deg C.
The gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir recorded a
minimum of minus 5 deg C, while Kupwara town recorded a
minimum of minus 4.7 deg C.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry