Kashmir separatists under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities on Friday placed prominent separatist leaders in the Kashmir Valley under house arrest and imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar ahead of Independence Day celebrations.
After they called for a protest shutdown on Friday across the Valley, Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Muhammad Yasin Malik and Shabir Shah were put under house arrest here.
As a preventive measure, restrictions were imposed in the Old City areas of Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, MR Gunj and Safa Kadal.
"These are preventive measures. There is no restriction on bonafide movement anywhere in the city," a police officer told a news agency.
Security forces have been deployed all across Srinagar, the summer capital of the state and the urban hub of the separatist campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city