Kashmir separatists under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities on Friday placed prominent separatist leaders in the Kashmir Valley under house arrest and imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar ahead of Independence Day celebrations.
After they called for a protest shutdown on Friday across the Valley, Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Muhammad Yasin Malik and Shabir Shah were put under house arrest here.
As a preventive measure, restrictions were imposed in the Old City areas of Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, MR Gunj and Safa Kadal.
"These are preventive measures. There is no restriction on bonafide movement anywhere in the city," a police officer told a news agency.
Security forces have been deployed all across Srinagar, the summer capital of the state and the urban hub of the separatist campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured