Kashmir separatists under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities on Friday placed prominent separatist leaders in the Kashmir Valley under house arrest and imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar ahead of Independence Day celebrations.
After they called for a protest shutdown on Friday across the Valley, Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Muhammad Yasin Malik and Shabir Shah were put under house arrest here.
As a preventive measure, restrictions were imposed in the Old City areas of Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, MR Gunj and Safa Kadal.
"These are preventive measures. There is no restriction on bonafide movement anywhere in the city," a police officer told a news agency.
Security forces have been deployed all across Srinagar, the summer capital of the state and the urban hub of the separatist campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September