Kashmir separatists under house arrest
Srinagar: Authorities on Friday placed prominent separatist leaders in the Kashmir Valley under house arrest and imposed restrictions in parts of Srinagar ahead of Independence Day celebrations.
After they called for a protest shutdown on Friday across the Valley, Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, Muhammad Yasin Malik and Shabir Shah were put under house arrest here.
As a preventive measure, restrictions were imposed in the Old City areas of Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, MR Gunj and Safa Kadal.
"These are preventive measures. There is no restriction on bonafide movement anywhere in the city," a police officer told a news agency.
Security forces have been deployed all across Srinagar, the summer capital of the state and the urban hub of the separatist campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Security at Olympics "robust", says IOC chief
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS