Kashmir still shivers, Gulmarg coldest at minus 10
Srinagar: The north Kashmir ski resort of Gulmarg witnessed its coldest night of the season with a low of minus 10 degrees Celsius while the strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway remained open for two-way traffic on Thursday.
"The minimum temperature in south Kashmir`s Pahalgam hill station fell to minus 6.7 degrees, it was 1.4 degrees in Srinagar, 8.2 in Jammu, and it was minus 4.4 degrees in Leh town of Ladakh region," a Met department official said.
"Light rain and snow is likely to occur at many places in the valley during the next 24 hours (until Friday)," the official said.
Meanwhile, vehicles were allowed to move from both Srinagar and Jammu on the strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway, traffic officials said here.
The over 300-km long highway is the Valley`s only road link to the rest of the country and all the essential supplies to the valley are routed through this road. The other road link, through the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal ranges of Himachal Pradesh, closes with the onset of winter and heavy snows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Never personally attacked CPI(M), Cong leaders, says Mamata
- Indian-American Christians condemn attack on Syria church head
- UK opposition leader says Brexit vote is due to anger at governments
- Whoa! Deepika Padukone, Priyanka Chopra's 4-minute act at IIFA costs a bomb!
- S Asians disappointed over US apex court ruling on immigration