Kashmir still shivers, Gulmarg coldest at minus 10
Srinagar: The north Kashmir ski resort of Gulmarg witnessed its coldest night of the season with a low of minus 10 degrees Celsius while the strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway remained open for two-way traffic on Thursday.
"The minimum temperature in south Kashmir`s Pahalgam hill station fell to minus 6.7 degrees, it was 1.4 degrees in Srinagar, 8.2 in Jammu, and it was minus 4.4 degrees in Leh town of Ladakh region," a Met department official said.
"Light rain and snow is likely to occur at many places in the valley during the next 24 hours (until Friday)," the official said.
Meanwhile, vehicles were allowed to move from both Srinagar and Jammu on the strategic Srinagar-Jammu national highway, traffic officials said here.
The over 300-km long highway is the Valley`s only road link to the rest of the country and all the essential supplies to the valley are routed through this road. The other road link, through the Rohtang Pass in the eastern Pir Panjal ranges of Himachal Pradesh, closes with the onset of winter and heavy snows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed