Kashmir: Three policemen, three militants killed
Srinagar: With another police officer killed, the toll in the ongoing fierce gunfight in Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday rose to six -- three police personnel and three separatist guerrillas, authorities said.
A Special Police Officer became the latest victim in the battle going on since Monday in North Kashmir`s Kupwara district, a senior police officer said.
"The encounter is on. So far, troops have gunned down three militants. One troop was wounded and evacuated to hospital," a defence spokesman said here.
Police and soldiers from 18 Grenadiers of the Army on Monday laid a siege around Awathkul forest area falling under the jurisdiction of police station Kralpora, a police officer said.
"The holed up militants opened indiscriminate fire at the search parties, resulting in on-the-spot death of two policemen," the officer said.
"The encounter is on and more reinforcements have been rushed to the encounter site," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi