Kashmir Valley gets some relief from cold
Srinagar: Residents of Jammu and Kashmir got some relief from the cold wave as the minimum temperatures rose by several degrees in most parts of the state with the mercury settling above the freezing point in Srinagar.
The night temperature in Srinagar settled at a low of 0.4 degree Celsius, above the freezing point for the first time in the past one week, a MeT Department official said here.
Srinagar had recorded a low of minus 2.4 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The minimum temperature in Leh, in Ladakh region, also rose by over two degrees but the town continues to be the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir.
The mercury in Leh settled at a low of minus 8.9 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 11.2 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The night temperature in the nearby Kargil town also increased and the mercury recorded a low of minus 3.4 degrees Celsius.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a temperature at minus 3.0 degrees Celsius as against the previous night’s minus 2.9 degrees Celsius, he said.
The minimum temperature in Pahalgam, a health resort which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra in south Kashmir, settled at minus 2.4 degrees Celsius, up from the previous night?s minus 3.6 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The ski-resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of 0.4 degree Celsius as compared to last night`s minus 0.4 degrees Celsius.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir Valley, also registered an increase in the minimum temperature with the mercury settling at a low of minus 0.6 degree Celsius as against the previous night?s minus 2.0 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The night temperature in the south Kashmir town of Kokernag fell a degree to 0.2 degree Celsius, he said, adding the tourist place had recorded a low of 1.2 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The MeT Department has forecast mainly dry weather across Kashmir division over the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city