Kashmir Valley gets some relief from cold
Srinagar: Residents of Jammu and Kashmir got some relief from the cold wave as the minimum temperatures rose by several degrees in most parts of the state with the mercury settling above the freezing point in Srinagar.
The night temperature in Srinagar settled at a low of 0.4 degree Celsius, above the freezing point for the first time in the past one week, a MeT Department official said here.
Srinagar had recorded a low of minus 2.4 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The minimum temperature in Leh, in Ladakh region, also rose by over two degrees but the town continues to be the coldest place in Jammu and Kashmir.
The mercury in Leh settled at a low of minus 8.9 degrees Celsius as compared to yesterday`s minus 11.2 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The night temperature in the nearby Kargil town also increased and the mercury recorded a low of minus 3.4 degrees Celsius.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a temperature at minus 3.0 degrees Celsius as against the previous night’s minus 2.9 degrees Celsius, he said.
The minimum temperature in Pahalgam, a health resort which serves as a base camp during annual Amarnath yatra in south Kashmir, settled at minus 2.4 degrees Celsius, up from the previous night?s minus 3.6 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The ski-resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of 0.4 degree Celsius as compared to last night`s minus 0.4 degrees Celsius.
Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir Valley, also registered an increase in the minimum temperature with the mercury settling at a low of minus 0.6 degree Celsius as against the previous night?s minus 2.0 degrees Celsius, the official said.
The night temperature in the south Kashmir town of Kokernag fell a degree to 0.2 degree Celsius, he said, adding the tourist place had recorded a low of 1.2 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The MeT Department has forecast mainly dry weather across Kashmir division over the next 24 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand