Kashmir Valley receives fresh snowfall, minimum temp rise
Srinagar: The Kashmir Valley received fresh snowfall following which minimum temperature rose in the region providing slight relief to the residents from the cold conditions.
Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, received 0.5 mm of snow during the night and recorded a minimum temperature of 0.5 degrees Celsius, over one degree up from the previous night`s low of minus 1.1 degrees Celsius, an official of the MeT Department here said.
Mercury in Qazigund, the gateway town to Kashmir Valley, increased by over two degrees to settle at a low of minus 1.5 degrees Celsius as against minus 3.9 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The town recorded 2.9 mm of snowfall, he said.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, registered a low of minus 0.4 degrees Celsius, over two degrees up from the previous night`s minus 3 degrees Celsius, the official said, adding the town received 0.4 mm of fresh snowfall.
Night temperature in south Kashmir`s Kokernag settled at a low of minus 3.6 degrees Celsius as compared to the previous night`s minus 5.2 degrees Celsius. The tourist resort received 1.5 mm of snow.
The mercury in Pahalgam hill resort, in south Kashmir, went up by almost two degrees from the previous night`s low of minus 5.6 degrees Celsius, to settle at a low of minus 3.8 degrees Celsius last night.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg, which recorded a low of minus 7.6 degrees Celsius the previous night, registered a low of minus 6 degrees Celsius last night.
Pahalgam received 2.4 mm of snow during the night and Gulmarg recorded 0.8 mm of snowfall.
The mercury in Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, rose by almost two degrees to settle at a low of minus 10.2 degrees Celsius as compared to the previous night`s minus 12.1 degrees Celsius.
The mercury in the nearby Kargil town settled at minus 12.0 degrees Celsius as against the previous night?s minus 11.5 degrees Celsius.
Kargil was the coldest place in the state, he said.
The MeT Department has said light rain or snowfall may occur at isolated places over the state over the next 24 hours.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know