Kashmir Valley receives fresh snowfall
Srinagar: High altitude areas of Kashmir
Valley including famous skiing resort of Gulmarg on Wednesday
received fresh snowfall.
The snowfall started in the upper reaches and in some
areas of the plains in the Valley around noon, ending an
almost 15-day long dry spell, official sources said.
They said the famous resort of Gulmarg, 52 kms from
summer capital Srinagar, witnessed a brief spell of snowfall.
About an inch of snow had accumulated on the ground.
Sadna top near the Line of Control (LoC) in Kupwara
district recorded over five inches of snow, the sources said.
District towns of Baramulla, Kupwara and Baramulla also
witnessed intermittent spells of snowfall, the sources said,
adding reports of light snowfall were also received from
south Kashmir districts of Anantnag, Pulwama, Shopian and
Jawahar tunnel, the gateway to Kashmir Valley, also
recorded light snowfall but the traffic on Srinagar-Jammu
national highway remained unaffected, the sources said.
The MET department has forecast rain and snowfall in
parts of the Valley over the next three days even as cold wave
continues unabated in the region.
The MeT department has issued an advisory warning land
and air transport systems of the state may be disrupted as the
western disturbances, which cause rains and snowfall, over the
state are likely to intensify.
The advisory said light to moderate rain and snowfall
will occur at most places of Pirpanjal ranges of Kashmir
division and at isolated places over higher reaches of Jammu
and Ladakh region.
One or two places may receive rather heavy snowfall,
three centimeters and above, the department said.
The Kashmir Valley has been reeling under intense cold
since start of `Chillai Kalan`, a forty-day period of extreme
chilling weather, on December 21.
The minimum temperature in the summer capital Srinagar
dropped by half a degree as the mercury here settled at minus
3.1 deg C as compared to yesterday`s minus 2.5 deg C, a MeT
The south Kashmir resort of Pahalgam recorded a low of
minus 3.2 deg C, while north Kashmir`s skiing resort
Gulmarg, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 7.2 deg C.
The minimum temperature in Leh town in the remote
Ladakh region rose by nearly two degrees to settle at minus
13.0 deg C, while in nearby Kargil town the night temperature
was recorded at minus 13.4 deg C.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata