Kashmir Valley receives fresh snowfall
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley was lashed by overnight rains and received fresh snowfall in the morning, bringing down the night as well as the day temperatures.
The rainfall caused water logging at many places, including the areas in the commercial hub of Lal Chowk.
According to a MeT Department official, Srinagar received snowfall and rains equivalent to 20.2 mm rain since yesterday, while Qazigund the gateway town to the Valley ? received 40.4 mm of rains.
Pahalgam in south Kashmir received snowfall equivalent to 26.6 mm of rainfall, followed by Kupwara (28.4 mm), Kokernag (20.0 mm) and Gulmarg skiing resort (12.6 mm) in north Kashmir, the official said.
Due to snowfall, the mercury has come down, which however, stayed above the freezing point in most parts of the Valley including the summer capital Srinagar, he said.
The mercury in Gulmarg settled at a minimum of minus 6.0 degrees Celsius, while Kupwara registerd a minimum of minus 0.5 degree Celsius, he added.
The official said Kargil was the coldest place in the state at minus 9.6 degrees Celsius and Leh town recorded a low of minus 3.6 degrees Celsius.
Due to fresh snowfall and landslides at many places along the arterial route, the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway has been closed for vehicular traffic today.
The 294-km highway, the only all-weather road link between the Valley and rest of the country, was closed this morning after overnight rains and fresh snowfall, a spokesman of the Traffic Department said.
He said rainfall was hampering efforts of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) and other concerned agencies to clear the road but said traffic can be allowed later today or tomorrow if "weather conditions permit".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa