Kashmir Valley receives fresh snowfall
Srinagar: The Kashmir valley was lashed by overnight rains and received fresh snowfall in the morning, bringing down the night as well as the day temperatures.
The rainfall caused water logging at many places, including the areas in the commercial hub of Lal Chowk.
According to a MeT Department official, Srinagar received snowfall and rains equivalent to 20.2 mm rain since yesterday, while Qazigund the gateway town to the Valley ? received 40.4 mm of rains.
Pahalgam in south Kashmir received snowfall equivalent to 26.6 mm of rainfall, followed by Kupwara (28.4 mm), Kokernag (20.0 mm) and Gulmarg skiing resort (12.6 mm) in north Kashmir, the official said.
Due to snowfall, the mercury has come down, which however, stayed above the freezing point in most parts of the Valley including the summer capital Srinagar, he said.
The mercury in Gulmarg settled at a minimum of minus 6.0 degrees Celsius, while Kupwara registerd a minimum of minus 0.5 degree Celsius, he added.
The official said Kargil was the coldest place in the state at minus 9.6 degrees Celsius and Leh town recorded a low of minus 3.6 degrees Celsius.
Due to fresh snowfall and landslides at many places along the arterial route, the Jammu-Srinagar National Highway has been closed for vehicular traffic today.
The 294-km highway, the only all-weather road link between the Valley and rest of the country, was closed this morning after overnight rains and fresh snowfall, a spokesman of the Traffic Department said.
He said rainfall was hampering efforts of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) and other concerned agencies to clear the road but said traffic can be allowed later today or tomorrow if "weather conditions permit".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America