Kashmir Valley receives fresh snowfall
Srinagar: The higher reaches of Kashmir received fresh snowfall even as the minimum temperature across the Valley and Ladakh region further fell to settle below the freezing point.
Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, received 0.5 mm of rainfall during the night and the mercury went down to settle at a low of minus 0.4 degrees Celsius, as compared to the previous night`s 0.3 degrees Celsius, an official of the MeT Department said here.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg received around 1.25 cms of snow and the night temperature recorded a drop of three degrees to settle at a low of minus 9.6 degrees Celsius as compared to 6.6 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Pahalgam hill resort, which serves as a base camp during the annual Amarnath yatra, received 20 cms of snow, the official said, adding the mercury there settled at a low of minus 4.0 degrees Celsius, as against minus 2.4 degrees Celsius the previous night.
Qazigund - the gateway town to Kashmir Valley - recorded a low of minus 2.6 degree Celsius, almost three degrees down as compared to the previous night?s 0.2 degrees Celsius.
The town received 2 cms of snow, he said.
Kokernag, in south Kashmir, which recorded a low of minus 1.4 degrees Celsius the previous night, registered a minimum of minus 2.7 degrees Celsius today.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, recorded a minimum of minus 2.7 degrees Celsius compared to 0.3 degree Celsius the previous night.
Kokernag and Kupwara recorded 12.4 mm and 1.1 mm of rains respectively.
The night temperature also decreased in Leh, in the frontier region of Ladakh, remained the coldest place in the state as the mercury settled at a low of minus 9.0 degrees Celsius as against minus 6.2 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The MeT Department has said there is a possibility of light rain or snowfall at a few places in the state.
Kashmir Valley is currently going through Chillai-Kalan - the 40-day harshest period of winter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning