Kashmir Valley reels under intense cold
Srinagar: Kashmir was back in the grip of intense cold as night temperatures across the Valley dipped below the freezing point with Gulmarg being the coldest place in the state at minus 14.2 degrees Celsius.
The mercury in Gulmarg plunged by 1.2 degrees compared to previous night`s low of minus 13 degrees Celsius, a MET office spokesman said.
He said even Leh and Kargil towns in cold desert region of Ladakh experienced comparatively warmer nights as the twin towns recorded a low of minus 13.6 degrees Celsius and minus 10.6 degrees Celsius respectively.
In Srinagar, the mercury continued its downward spiral to settle at minus 2.2 degrees Celsius compared to yesterday’s minus 1.3 degrees Celsius, the spokesman said, adding Pahalgam in south Kashmir witnessed a low of minus 8.4 degrees Celsius.
Qazigund (minus 1.9), Kupwara (minus 2.5) and Kokernag (minus 3.7) also witnessed sub-zero temperatures last night, he added.
Meanwhile, authorities have sounded a high danger avalanche warning for snow-bound areas.
"People residing in snow-bound areas are advised not to venture into steep avalanche prone areas and nearby forests in view of apprehensions of high danger avalanches," an advisory issued by the office of the Divisional Commissioner Kashmir said.
According to the advisory, high danger avalanche warning has been issued for Gulmarg, Chowkibal and Tangdhar sectors while medium danger avalanche warning has been issued for Uri, Nowgam-Keran sector, Machil sector, Bandipora-Gurez sector, Sonamarg, Drass and Kargil sectors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Gujarat ATS arrest two people for planning a bomb blast in Rajkot's Chotila temple
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter