Kashmir Valley sees unprecedented tourists rush in off-season
Srinagar: Tourists seem undeterred by the prevalent chill in Kashmir, as they are thronging the Valley in large numbers during the off-season.
An unprecedented rush in tourist arrivals was witnessed in the Valley in September and October, which are usually considered off-season for tourism in Kashmir, Deputy Director of Tourism (Publicity) Azmat Ali told PTI.
"As many as 64,000 tourists visited Kashmir in the month of September and 69,000 in October," Ali said.
And it is not just domestic tourists, but foreigners as well who are visiting the Valley though in lesser, but significant numbers.
Ali put the number of foreign tourists visiting the Valley in September at 2,950 and in October at 2,864.
"The number of foreign tourists is less, but we expect the number to pick up in the coming months as, during winter season, more and more foreigners visit the Valley for adventure tourism," he said.
On an average, he said, 2,100 tourists were visiting Kashmir daily.
He said this year, around 11,65,000 tourists visited the Valley, 31,461 of them being foreigners.
Popular destinations like Pahalgam, Gulmarg and Sonamarg are attracting tourists in large numbers even during the lean season, which has surprised many.
"It is unusual to see such a huge rush of tourists in this season," Mohammad Abdullah, a houseboat owner said, adding "it is very good for the business community and the state`s economy."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming