Kashmir Valley tense on Independence Day eve
Srinagar: Following a guerrilla attack in a south Kashmir town, tension prevailed in the Kashmir Valley on Thursday on the eve of the nation`s Independence Day Aug 15.
Three people - two policemen and a civilian - were killed in Pampore town of south Kashmir`s Pulwama district Wednesday night in an attack by separatist guerrillas.
Although a caller identifying himself as a spokesman of the Hizbul Mujahideen group claimed responsibility for the attack, police and intelligence agencies said the attack was carried out by militants of the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT).
"It is the same group that attacked a vehicle carrying BSF personnel in Pampore town Aug 11," a senior intelligence officer told IANS here.
Earlier, a taxi, allegedly hijacked by guerrillas in Ramban district of Jammu region, was recovered late Wednesday in south Kashmir`s Shopian district.
Police have so far dismissed the theory that the car was hijacked by militants. They say the vehicle was stolen by thieves who are being traced.
For the Independence Day celebrations, a three-tier security ring has been thrown around the Bakshi Stadium in Srinagar where the main parade will be held Aug 15.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah will unfurl the national flag and take salute at the main parade at the stadium.
The stadium was taken over by the security forces three days ahead of the parade. They banned all entry except through a strictly enforced access control system and authorised passes.
The security forces installed CCTV cameras inside and around the stadium and in other sensitive places of the city.
An effective anti-sabotage mechanism has been put at place, a top police officer told IANS.
Sharp shooters have been deployed at positions around the stadium and also at some buildings near the venue.
There were fewer vehicles on Srinagar roads Thursday as people preferred to stay indoors or move out to Pahalgam, Gulmarg, and Sonamarg.
On the other hand, all separatist leaders have called for a protest shutdown Thursday to grab international attention on what they call continuing subjugation of Kashmir by India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM