Kashmir Valley under deep freeze
Srinagar: Witnessing one of the harshest
winter in decades, the Kashmir Valley experienced an extremely chilly night with a drastic fall in the night temperature even
as the remote town of Kargil recorded the lowest temperature
of the season at minus 25 degrees.
The minimim temperature in Kargil town of Ladakh region
slipped by nearly five degrees from yesterday to settle at
minus 25.0 degrees Celsius, a MeT official said.
This is the lowest temperature of the season anywhere
in the Kashmir division beating the previous lowest of minus
23 degrees Celsius recorded in Kargil last week.
The adjoining Leh town, also in Ladakh region, recorded
its season`s lowest temperature with mercury there plunging to
minus 23.4 degrees Celsius, a drop of 4.8 degrees from last
night, the official said.
In Kashmir valley, the minimum temperature across the
region fell several degrees below freezing point even as
Chillai Kalan, 40-days of harsh winter, came to end today.
The Chillai Kalan, which began on December 21 last year, is considered one of the harshest periods of the winter in Kashmir when sometimes even the day time temperature plunges below the freezing point here.
The minimum temperature in the summer capital here was
recorded at minus 5.0 degrees Celsius, the official said.
South Kashmir`s tourist resort of Pahalgam remained the
coldest place in the valley as minimum temperature there fell
to minus 14.2 degrees Celsius, a drop of one degree from
In the famous Gulmarg skiing resort, in north Kashmir,
the minimum temperature recorded a drop of more than a degree
to settle at minus 12.5 degrees Celsius, the official said.
Qazigund town, which acts as the gateway to Kashmir
valley, recorded a freezing night with minimum temperature
dropping to minus 10.0 degrees Celsius.
Kupwara frontier town in north Kashmir recorded a low
of minus 6.3 degrees Celsius, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days