Kashmiri migrant teachers meet Sonia with grievances
New Delhi: Peeved at Delhi Government not
regularising their services, a group of Kashmiri migrant
teachers on Tuesday approached UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi
requesting her to intervene in the issue.
Around 300 Kashmiri migrant teachers, working in
various Delhi Government schools on contractual basis for the
last 20 years, have been demanding regularisation of their
services and salary on a par with regular teachers.
A group of the teachers` representatives along with
officials of S K Foundation, which has been fighting for the
teachers` cause, requested Gandhi to impress upon Delhi
Government to concede their demands.
The Kashmiri Pandit teachers on contract currently
draw monthly salary in the range of Rs 8,000 to Rs 13,000
against the pay package of Rs 32,000 to Rs 40,000 for regular
Although the city government last month had decided to
increase the contract period of Pandit teachers from current
three years to five years, their representatives demanded
regularisation of their services and rejected the enhanced pay
package seeking salary on a par with regular teachers.
The government had decided to increase the salary of
PGT teachers from monthly Rs 13,160 to Rs 26,318 and for TGT
teachers it was hiked from Rs 11,140 to Rs 24,853.
"We have requested Gandhi to look into our
grievances," said Sunil Shakdher, chairman of S K Foundation.
The migrant Pandit teachers have been working in
various Delhi Government schools for the last 20 years and
their contracts are being renewed after every three years.
Earlier, the government had said the teachers have to
clear a written test and government would provide age
relaxation to them for regularising their services.
The S K Foundation had written to Gandhi in September
last year also following which she had asked the Delhi
Government to look into the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks