Kashmiri Pandit groups hold `Black Day` protests
Jammu: The occasion of Martyrs` Day in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday saw protests by Kashmiri Pandit groups who observed the day as a black day saying that it commemorated the persecution inflicted by one group of people on another.
The Joint Forum of KP Organisations held a massive demonstration outside the Press Club in Jammu. Activists at the demonstration said that the Kashmiri Pandit community had been observing July 13 as `Black Day` since 1932.
The organisations which took part in the protests include the All State Kashmir Pandit Conference, Panun Kashmir, All India Kashmiri Pandit Conference, BJP, VHP, Jammu State Morcha, Sanatan Dharm Sabha and Shiv Sena.
All India general secretary of the BJP, P Muralidhar Rao, who was on a day`s visit to J-K also joined the demonstrators.
People demonstrating against Maharaja Hari Singh`s rule in Kashmir were shot and killed by soldiers on July 13, 1931.
Although the day is celebrated as Martyrs` Day in the state, a section of public opinion says that one of the events in the historic episode was of an attack carried out by members of one community against another.
"It adds insult to injury that a day when Kashmiri Pandits were subjected to mass persecution and loot has been designated as the official Martyrs? Day in the Valley," said Panun Kashmir president Ashwani Kumar Chrungoo.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?