Kashmiri Pandit groups hold `Black Day` protests
Jammu: The occasion of Martyrs` Day in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday saw protests by Kashmiri Pandit groups who observed the day as a black day saying that it commemorated the persecution inflicted by one group of people on another.
The Joint Forum of KP Organisations held a massive demonstration outside the Press Club in Jammu. Activists at the demonstration said that the Kashmiri Pandit community had been observing July 13 as `Black Day` since 1932.
The organisations which took part in the protests include the All State Kashmir Pandit Conference, Panun Kashmir, All India Kashmiri Pandit Conference, BJP, VHP, Jammu State Morcha, Sanatan Dharm Sabha and Shiv Sena.
All India general secretary of the BJP, P Muralidhar Rao, who was on a day`s visit to J-K also joined the demonstrators.
People demonstrating against Maharaja Hari Singh`s rule in Kashmir were shot and killed by soldiers on July 13, 1931.
Although the day is celebrated as Martyrs` Day in the state, a section of public opinion says that one of the events in the historic episode was of an attack carried out by members of one community against another.
"It adds insult to injury that a day when Kashmiri Pandits were subjected to mass persecution and loot has been designated as the official Martyrs? Day in the Valley," said Panun Kashmir president Ashwani Kumar Chrungoo.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- This picture of an IAS officer has gone viral on social media - know why
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2016: Wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in class 10th X Result 2016 West Bengal Board is likely to be announced on May 10, 2016
- Four months after Pathankot terror attack, bodies of 4 terrorists buried
- These five super-foods will help you lose weight in the summer!
- Chopper deal: No evidence to link politicians with AgustaWestland bribes, says Italian judge who delivered verdict