Kashmiri Pandits call on Kanchi seer
Kancheepuram: A group of Kashmiri Pandits called on Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi here and apprised him of their plight and voiced their eagerness to live in their own state.
The Pandits told him they should be allowed to live in their home state enjoying the rights of Indian citizens, Jayendra Saraswathi said on Tuesday. They narrated their plight of being unable to return to their own homes and generally voiced their anxiety that there
should be no political games played on their issue, he said briefing about the meeting held yesterday during which his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi was also present.
A spokesman of the group said they were from various parts of the country like Hyderabad, Bangalore and Delhi. He said the Pandits had left their homes in Kashmir during 90s, owing to threat to their life. Since then they had been scattered in different parts of the country living through straitened circumstances. They had not returned to their homes even once.
The Pandits, who also worshipped at the Kamakshi Amman temple here, left yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back