Kashmiri Pandits call on Kanchi seer
Kancheepuram: A group of Kashmiri Pandits called on Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi here and apprised him of their plight and voiced their eagerness to live in their own state.
The Pandits told him they should be allowed to live in their home state enjoying the rights of Indian citizens, Jayendra Saraswathi said on Tuesday. They narrated their plight of being unable to return to their own homes and generally voiced their anxiety that there
should be no political games played on their issue, he said briefing about the meeting held yesterday during which his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi was also present.
A spokesman of the group said they were from various parts of the country like Hyderabad, Bangalore and Delhi. He said the Pandits had left their homes in Kashmir during 90s, owing to threat to their life. Since then they had been scattered in different parts of the country living through straitened circumstances. They had not returned to their homes even once.
The Pandits, who also worshipped at the Kamakshi Amman temple here, left yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened