Kashmiri Pandits call on Kanchi seer
Kancheepuram: A group of Kashmiri Pandits called on Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi here and apprised him of their plight and voiced their eagerness to live in their own state.
The Pandits told him they should be allowed to live in their home state enjoying the rights of Indian citizens, Jayendra Saraswathi said on Tuesday. They narrated their plight of being unable to return to their own homes and generally voiced their anxiety that there
should be no political games played on their issue, he said briefing about the meeting held yesterday during which his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi was also present.
A spokesman of the group said they were from various parts of the country like Hyderabad, Bangalore and Delhi. He said the Pandits had left their homes in Kashmir during 90s, owing to threat to their life. Since then they had been scattered in different parts of the country living through straitened circumstances. They had not returned to their homes even once.
The Pandits, who also worshipped at the Kamakshi Amman temple here, left yesterday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees