Kashmiri Pandits demand passage of Temples Bill, hold protest
Jammu: An amalgamation of Kashmiri Pandit organisations, under the banner of Premnath Bhat Memorial Trust, on Friday held a protest demonstration here demanding the passage of Hindu Temples and Shrines Bill.
The protesting KP`s, who assembled outside the Press Club here, raised placards and shouted slogans in support of their demands and urged the state government to fulfill its promise of passing the Bill.
"Last year in April, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in a meeting with the Apex Committee had promised that he will bring an ordinance in this regard, but till date nothing has happened," vice president of Jammu and Kashmir Vichar Manch and member of the Apex Committee, RL Bhat, said here.
Bhat also questioned the motive of the government behind the inordinate delay in passing the Bill.
"We met lot of ministers during last few months and everyone assured us that the Bill will be passed. We want to know why the government has then not done anything in this regard. It seems they are working at the behest of separatist forces, who do not want the Hindu shrines and temples to be restored in the Valley," Bhat alleged.
It is also important to mention here that All Party Migrants Co-ordination Committee (APMCC) had earlier on January 30 held a 15-day long fast unto death in Porbandar, Gujarat in support of their six point charter of demands, including the passage of the Temples and Shrines Bill.
Meanwhile, the BJP who also joined the protest, said it remained committed towards passing of the Bill.
"Our stand on the passage of the Temples and Shrines Bill remains firm. We have supported it in the past and we will continue to support it," BJP state general secretary (Organisation) Ashok Kaul, who also participated in the protest, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery