Kashmiri Pandits demand passage of Temples Bill, hold protest
Jammu: An amalgamation of Kashmiri Pandit organisations, under the banner of Premnath Bhat Memorial Trust, on Friday held a protest demonstration here demanding the passage of Hindu Temples and Shrines Bill.
The protesting KP`s, who assembled outside the Press Club here, raised placards and shouted slogans in support of their demands and urged the state government to fulfill its promise of passing the Bill.
"Last year in April, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in a meeting with the Apex Committee had promised that he will bring an ordinance in this regard, but till date nothing has happened," vice president of Jammu and Kashmir Vichar Manch and member of the Apex Committee, RL Bhat, said here.
Bhat also questioned the motive of the government behind the inordinate delay in passing the Bill.
"We met lot of ministers during last few months and everyone assured us that the Bill will be passed. We want to know why the government has then not done anything in this regard. It seems they are working at the behest of separatist forces, who do not want the Hindu shrines and temples to be restored in the Valley," Bhat alleged.
It is also important to mention here that All Party Migrants Co-ordination Committee (APMCC) had earlier on January 30 held a 15-day long fast unto death in Porbandar, Gujarat in support of their six point charter of demands, including the passage of the Temples and Shrines Bill.
Meanwhile, the BJP who also joined the protest, said it remained committed towards passing of the Bill.
"Our stand on the passage of the Temples and Shrines Bill remains firm. We have supported it in the past and we will continue to support it," BJP state general secretary (Organisation) Ashok Kaul, who also participated in the protest, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video