Kashmiri Pandits want free electricity for Jagti
Jammu: Reeling under acute power crisis and poor financial conditions, the Kashimiri Pandits (KP) have demanded from the state government free electricity to Jagti township.
"The demand has been made as power supply to the township is extremely poor and the residents are not in any financial condition to pay for the electricity bills", Jagti Tenement Committee (JTC) resident Shadi Lal Pandita told reporters here.
With a total of 4242 flats, Jagti is the biggest residential accommodation being provided to KPs.
The state government has asked Kashmiri migrants to undersign an agreement for power supply to the township.
Though the agreement offers a rebate in power tariff to the Kashmiri migrants, it has no provision for free electricity.
"Migrant families cannot be compelled to sign the agreement", Pandita said, adding, the state government should adopt a humanitarian approach towards Jagti residents.
"No power supply in the night hours has increased our miseries", he added.
Last week, Kashmiri migrants had blocked the Jammu- Srinagar National Highway to press for the demand of free electricity to the township.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman