Kashmiris` interests not separate from Indian Muslims: Jamiat
Deoband: In a snub to separatists, the
Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind (JuH) has made it clear that Jammu and Kashmir`s future is with India, saying the interests of Kashmiri people are not separate from those of Indian Muslims.
Taking up the Kashmir issue for the first time, JuH,
which has the backing of leading Islamic seminary Darool Uloom
Deoband, has also sought withdrawal of the controversial Armed
Forces Special Power Act in the state.
A 11-point resolution adopted at the Kashmir
conference here on Sunday accused the Centre and the J-K
government of having failed to maintain peace, saying the
"situation is getting from bad to worse".
"We would like to assure the people of Kashmir that we
as citizens of India share their grief and anguish and support
there rightful demands and we do not consider that the
interests of the Kashmiri people are separate from the
interests of Indian Muslims," the resolution said.
Separatists in J-K including the Hurriyat Conference
have been pressing for an independent Kashmir or its merger
The JuH also called for "thwarting the mission of
enemy forces bent upon disintegration of Kashmir", apparently
referring to anti-India activities by Pakistan-based militant
"We want Kashmiri representatives to talk to the
Indian government and find a solution to their problem within
the framework of the Indian Constitution," JuH Secretary Niaz
Ahmed Farooqui told today.
Farooqui also said the Hurrriyat Conference was not
invited but some clerics from J-K attended the meet.
"We wanted to highlight the problems faced by Kashmiri
people and we want both sides (Kashmiri leaders and Centre) to
to hold direct talks to end the current impasse," he said.
He said a second Kashmir conference will be held in
the national capital on October 31, following which a
delegation will be send to the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason