Katra to be on Railway map by 2012
Jammu: Thronged by over 75 lakh devotees
every year for their onward journey to the holy cave shrine of
Vaishno Devi, Katra, the base camp for the pilgrimage, will be
brought on the railway map by 2012.
The town will be connected by train by 2012 as most of
the work on Udhampur-Katra track has been completed, Railway
Board Chairman S S Khurana said on Sunday.
Katra will have the most modern railway station in
the country with a number of facilities for the passengers, he
Over 75 lakh pilgrims including VIPs, politicians,
film stars, business tycoons and NRIs visit the town annually
for pilgrimage to the hill-top shrine.
Khurana said Kashmir will be connected with rest of
the country by train by 2017 as the work is going on in full
swing on Qaqzigund-Banihal-Katra line.
Khurana, accompanied by top railway officials, visited
the Udhampur Railway Station and inaugurated two retiring and
one waiting halls to fulfil the long-pending demand of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed