Katra to be on Railway map by 2012
Jammu: Thronged by over 75 lakh devotees
every year for their onward journey to the holy cave shrine of
Vaishno Devi, Katra, the base camp for the pilgrimage, will be
brought on the railway map by 2012.
The town will be connected by train by 2012 as most of
the work on Udhampur-Katra track has been completed, Railway
Board Chairman S S Khurana said on Sunday.
Katra will have the most modern railway station in
the country with a number of facilities for the passengers, he
Over 75 lakh pilgrims including VIPs, politicians,
film stars, business tycoons and NRIs visit the town annually
for pilgrimage to the hill-top shrine.
Khurana said Kashmir will be connected with rest of
the country by train by 2017 as the work is going on in full
swing on Qaqzigund-Banihal-Katra line.
Khurana, accompanied by top railway officials, visited
the Udhampur Railway Station and inaugurated two retiring and
one waiting halls to fulfil the long-pending demand of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’