Katra to be on Railway map by 2012
Jammu: Thronged by over 75 lakh devotees
every year for their onward journey to the holy cave shrine of
Vaishno Devi, Katra, the base camp for the pilgrimage, will be
brought on the railway map by 2012.
The town will be connected by train by 2012 as most of
the work on Udhampur-Katra track has been completed, Railway
Board Chairman S S Khurana said on Sunday.
Katra will have the most modern railway station in
the country with a number of facilities for the passengers, he
Over 75 lakh pilgrims including VIPs, politicians,
film stars, business tycoons and NRIs visit the town annually
for pilgrimage to the hill-top shrine.
Khurana said Kashmir will be connected with rest of
the country by train by 2017 as the work is going on in full
swing on Qaqzigund-Banihal-Katra line.
Khurana, accompanied by top railway officials, visited
the Udhampur Railway Station and inaugurated two retiring and
one waiting halls to fulfil the long-pending demand of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa