Katra to be on Railway map by 2012
Jammu: Thronged by over 75 lakh devotees
every year for their onward journey to the holy cave shrine of
Vaishno Devi, Katra, the base camp for the pilgrimage, will be
brought on the railway map by 2012.
The town will be connected by train by 2012 as most of
the work on Udhampur-Katra track has been completed, Railway
Board Chairman S S Khurana said on Sunday.
Katra will have the most modern railway station in
the country with a number of facilities for the passengers, he
Over 75 lakh pilgrims including VIPs, politicians,
film stars, business tycoons and NRIs visit the town annually
for pilgrimage to the hill-top shrine.
Khurana said Kashmir will be connected with rest of
the country by train by 2017 as the work is going on in full
swing on Qaqzigund-Banihal-Katra line.
Khurana, accompanied by top railway officials, visited
the Udhampur Railway Station and inaugurated two retiring and
one waiting halls to fulfil the long-pending demand of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends