Katra to be on Railway map by 2012
Jammu: Thronged by over 75 lakh devotees
every year for their onward journey to the holy cave shrine of
Vaishno Devi, Katra, the base camp for the pilgrimage, will be
brought on the railway map by 2012.
The town will be connected by train by 2012 as most of
the work on Udhampur-Katra track has been completed, Railway
Board Chairman S S Khurana said on Sunday.
Katra will have the most modern railway station in
the country with a number of facilities for the passengers, he
Over 75 lakh pilgrims including VIPs, politicians,
film stars, business tycoons and NRIs visit the town annually
for pilgrimage to the hill-top shrine.
Khurana said Kashmir will be connected with rest of
the country by train by 2017 as the work is going on in full
swing on Qaqzigund-Banihal-Katra line.
Khurana, accompanied by top railway officials, visited
the Udhampur Railway Station and inaugurated two retiring and
one waiting halls to fulfil the long-pending demand of the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark