Khurshid visit will help end border row: Chinese daily
Beijing: Indian Foreign Minister Salman Khurshid`s visit to China will help put "a political end" to the recent border row, a hardline Chinese daily said Thursday.
In an article "Face-off just a small thorn in Sino-Indian relations", Global Times said the recent border tensions had been "solved smoothly" even before Khurshid began his May 9-10 trip.
"It seems the two Asian giants, once confronted with the border issue, have developed a tit-for-tat attitude towards each other among the public," it said.
"The bilateral relationship is also subject to instigation from the West. But the tension has never risen to where it could jeopardize China-India ties. When it comes to resolution, sobriety and diplomacy can succeed," it added.
Chinese soldiers had reportedly intruded 19 km inside Indian territory in Depsang area of Ladakh April 15 and pitched tents.
After five flag meetings and dozens of phone calls between the two sides, troops of both sides moved back to their original positions.
The daily pointed out that India is one of the few countries which have not yet finished delineating borders with China, but "this has had little impact on the rapid growth of Sino-Indian trade".
The trade volume of over $70 billion in 2012 not only makes China the second largest trade partner of India, "but also draws the two countries closer and creates win-win interaction between the two".
India and China fought a border war in 1962, and claim each other`s territory.
The daily noted that neither China and India "will underestimate the great potential and attractiveness of its neighbour`s market".
Both were "bound to have promising futures", it said. "Cooperation, instead of tension and confrontation, will prevail."
"...those fanatical and unrestrained voices which were attempting to ignite fears and prejudices, have failed to blind the peaceful majority to the potential of the Sino-Indian relationship.
"Khurshid`s visit will help put a political end to the issue."
The Global Times, which often takes a hard line on issues pertaining to Chinese interests, said Khurshid`s trip was also "a great opportunity for India to exchange in-depth views about the border issues with the newly-elected Chinese leadership".
China`s new Premier Li Keqiang has reportedly chosen India for his first official visit.
"It is impossible that Sino-Indian border issues will be left unsettled forever. But it is probable that the leaders of both countries have the wisdom and confidence to address the problem based on respect and mutual trust," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM