Kishtwar riots: Sajjad Ahmed Kitchloo re-inducted into Omar ministry
Jammu: National Conference MLA Sajjad Ahmed Kitchloo, who quit as minister of State for Home in the wake of Kishtwar communal violence, was re-inducted on Saturday into the Omar Abdullah ministry, a day after a judicial commission gave him a clean chit.
Governor N N Vohra administered the oath of office and secrecy to Kitchloo at a ceremony at Raj Bhawan here.
Kitchloo, who was inducted as minister of State, was given the portfolios of Home, Roads and Building, Housing and Urban Development, and Tourism and Culture.
Besides. He was made minister for Industry and Commerce with an independent charge, an official spokesman said.
Protesting the move, the BJP held demonstrations in the city and announced a 48-hour shutdown in Jammu from tomorrow.
Soon after he was sworn-in, Kitchloo said the Commission had cleared his name and the truth had come out.
"I do not think there is need to speak more on it," he told reporters here.
Under attack over his alleged role in the Kishtwar riots, Kitchloo had stepped down as minister of State for Home saying he did not want to "cast a shadow on an independent probe" which had been constituted by the state government.
Justice (Retd) R C Gandhi, probing the riots, exonerated Kitchloo and blamed police and the local administration for mismanagement during the August nine riots which left three dead and dozens injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says