Kupwara gangrape: SHRC asks J&K to reinvestigate
Srinagar: The State Human Rights Commission
(SHRC) today asked the Jammu and Kashmir government to start a
fresh probe into the case relating to the alleged mass
gangrape of women by army personnel in Kunan and Poshpora
villages of Kupwara district twenty years ago.
Announcing its recommendations on the case, a division
bench of SHRC asked the state government to constitute a
Special Investigation Team (SIT) to reinvestigate the alleged
mass gangrape of at least 31 women by army personnel in 1991.
Dozens of women from Kunan and Poshpora villages, around
110 km from here, had claimed that they were gangraped by army
troopers during the intervening night of February 23 and 24 in
1991, leading to outrage across Kashmir.
"The SIT should be headed by an officer not below the
rank of Superintendent of Police," the bench comprising SHRC
Chairman Justice (retd) Syed Bashiruddin Ahmad and Javaid
It also asked the state government to prosecute the the
then Director Prosecution who had sought closure of the
case as the perpetrators were "untraceable".
"The then Director Prosecution had overstepped his
brief...prosecution proceedings should be initiated against
him and those officers who had approved his report," the SHRC
Reading out from the report of the then district
magistrate, Kawoos said 31 women, who claimed to have been
victims of gangrape, had been sent for medical examination,
which confirmed that they were subjected to atrocities.
"In the course of hearing the case, statements of 18
women were recorded and during which they testified that they
were subjected to the atrocity," he said.
The Commission asked the state government to pay
compensation of Rs two lakh each to the victims of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report