Kupwara gangrape: SHRC asks J&K to reinvestigate
Srinagar: The State Human Rights Commission
(SHRC) today asked the Jammu and Kashmir government to start a
fresh probe into the case relating to the alleged mass
gangrape of women by army personnel in Kunan and Poshpora
villages of Kupwara district twenty years ago.
Announcing its recommendations on the case, a division
bench of SHRC asked the state government to constitute a
Special Investigation Team (SIT) to reinvestigate the alleged
mass gangrape of at least 31 women by army personnel in 1991.
Dozens of women from Kunan and Poshpora villages, around
110 km from here, had claimed that they were gangraped by army
troopers during the intervening night of February 23 and 24 in
1991, leading to outrage across Kashmir.
"The SIT should be headed by an officer not below the
rank of Superintendent of Police," the bench comprising SHRC
Chairman Justice (retd) Syed Bashiruddin Ahmad and Javaid
It also asked the state government to prosecute the the
then Director Prosecution who had sought closure of the
case as the perpetrators were "untraceable".
"The then Director Prosecution had overstepped his
brief...prosecution proceedings should be initiated against
him and those officers who had approved his report," the SHRC
Reading out from the report of the then district
magistrate, Kawoos said 31 women, who claimed to have been
victims of gangrape, had been sent for medical examination,
which confirmed that they were subjected to atrocities.
"In the course of hearing the case, statements of 18
women were recorded and during which they testified that they
were subjected to the atrocity," he said.
The Commission asked the state government to pay
compensation of Rs two lakh each to the victims of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you