Ladakh council adopts new emblem replacing J&K logo
Leh: The Ladakh Autonomous Hill
Development Council (LAHDC) has decided to adopt an insignia
similar to the national emblem replacing the Jammu and
Kashmir`s logo, drawing a sharp reaction from PDP which said
it will strive to protect the state`s unique identity.
In a unanimous resolution in this regard passed last
week, the council adopted the symbol with the Ashoka Pillar
which almost resembles the national emblem.
An LAHDC councillor said the decision was taken so as
to give the emblem a more national look. Jammu and Kashmir has
its own flag and emblem.
The councillor said the inclusion of the new logo will
help in promoting the hill council as a unique political
dispensation for the people of Ladakh.
Reacting to the issue, Chief Minister Omar Abdullah
said his government will take a decision after examining the
"We are examining the issue. After all, it is a local
municipality. Even the Srinagar municipality has a different
emblem. We will examine the manner and take a decision," Omar
Opposition Peoples Democratic party (PDP) termed the
move to discard the state emblem by LAHDC as "unfortunate".
"PDP will fight any attempt to dilute the special
status of Jammu and Kashmir under the Constitution. Leh is
part of the state. The emblem controversy is unfortunate," PDP
president Mehbooba Mufti said.
She claimed ruling National Conference has bartered
away all the state`s financial resources and institutions and
there was need "to protect the unique identity of the state".
Mehbooba also said the PDP is fully behind the Private
Member`s bill planned to be tabled by party MLA from Bandipora
Nizamuddin Bhat for hoisting the state flag alongside the
The 32-member LAHDC also passed a resolution for
inclusion of Bodhi language in the Eight Schedule of the
Constitution without any opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'