Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway again
Srinagar: Landslides and shooting stones on Wednesday blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway even as the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) started road clearance operations early morning, an official said.According to an official of the BRO, there were landslides in Panthal and Khoni Nallah areas and fresh snowfall in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors during Tuesday night.
"We have started road clearance operations, but as of now the highway is closed for traffic," the official said.
Intending travelers have been advised to contact the traffic control rooms at Srinagar and Jammu before undertaking the journey.
Frequent landslides and shooting stones occur on the highway especially in the Panthal, Khoni Nallah and Ramban areas, which are the most accident prone sectors of the over 300-km-long highway.
A landslide tragedy on the highway killed seven passengers last week and two more this week in the Khoni Nallah area.
Incessant rains often loosen the soil triggering landslides and shooting stones in Panthal, Khoni Nallah, Anokhi Fall and Ramban sectors.
The highway is the landlocked valley`s only road link with the rest of the country. All supplies to the valley are routed through this highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Day after being sacked as AAP's Punjab convener, Sucha Singh Chhotepur calls for CBI probe
- Coal scam: Ex-Coal Secy says, don't want advocate whose fee I cannot pay; will face trial from jail
- Japan PM pledges to invest $ 30 billion in Africa by 2018
- Kedar Jadhav, Shreyas Iyer power India A to easy six-wicket win
- Talks on Kashmir issue needed, want peace restored in Valley: Pak High Commissioner Abdul Basit