Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway again
Srinagar: Landslides and shooting stones on Wednesday blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway even as the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) started road clearance operations early morning, an official said.According to an official of the BRO, there were landslides in Panthal and Khoni Nallah areas and fresh snowfall in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors during Tuesday night.
"We have started road clearance operations, but as of now the highway is closed for traffic," the official said.
Intending travelers have been advised to contact the traffic control rooms at Srinagar and Jammu before undertaking the journey.
Frequent landslides and shooting stones occur on the highway especially in the Panthal, Khoni Nallah and Ramban areas, which are the most accident prone sectors of the over 300-km-long highway.
A landslide tragedy on the highway killed seven passengers last week and two more this week in the Khoni Nallah area.
Incessant rains often loosen the soil triggering landslides and shooting stones in Panthal, Khoni Nallah, Anokhi Fall and Ramban sectors.
The highway is the landlocked valley`s only road link with the rest of the country. All supplies to the valley are routed through this highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply