Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway again
Srinagar: Landslides and shooting stones on Wednesday blocked the Srinagar-Jammu highway even as the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) started road clearance operations early morning, an official said.According to an official of the BRO, there were landslides in Panthal and Khoni Nallah areas and fresh snowfall in Bannihal and Patnitop sectors during Tuesday night.
"We have started road clearance operations, but as of now the highway is closed for traffic," the official said.
Intending travelers have been advised to contact the traffic control rooms at Srinagar and Jammu before undertaking the journey.
Frequent landslides and shooting stones occur on the highway especially in the Panthal, Khoni Nallah and Ramban areas, which are the most accident prone sectors of the over 300-km-long highway.
A landslide tragedy on the highway killed seven passengers last week and two more this week in the Khoni Nallah area.
Incessant rains often loosen the soil triggering landslides and shooting stones in Panthal, Khoni Nallah, Anokhi Fall and Ramban sectors.
The highway is the landlocked valley`s only road link with the rest of the country. All supplies to the valley are routed through this highway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state