Law has taken its course in Afzal Guru`s case: Cong
New Delhi: With Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah expressing displeasure over the way the hanging of Afzal Guru was carried out, Congress on Sunday said there was no cause for anyone to "misunderstand" as it was carried out as per the law.
"Afzal Guru has been hanged according to law. Law has taken its own course and nobody should misunderstand it," Congress Spokesperson Rashid Alvi said here.
He was responding to the sharp reaction of Omar, who slammed the execution of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru and said this would reinforce a sense of alienation and injustice among generation of youth in the Valley.
The Chief Minister said it was a "tragedy" that Guru was not allowed to meet his family before he was hanged and not allowed a "final farewell". The 43-year-old Parliament attack convict was hanged and buried in Tihar jail premises in Delhi in a secret operation yesterday.
Clearly unhappy with the hanging of Guru, the Chief Minister said there were many questions that needed to be answered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- APJ Abdul Kalam: Not Hindu, Not Muslim – Death of an 'Indian'
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India