Lawyers` strike: Court work remains affected in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Work in courts across the
Kashmir Valley on Tuesday remained badly hit for the second
successive day due to the strike called by a lawyers` group
against the detention of its president.
The lawyers did not attended the courts, including the
state High Court, in response to the Kashmir High Court Bar
Association`s (KHCBA) two-day strike call.
The Association is demanding the immediate release of
president Mian Abdul Qayoom.
The lawyers, who sat on a dharna last Saturday, had
decided to go on strike against the detention of Qayoom in a
Although the courts were functional, the proceedings
in the cases could not be conducted, official sources said.
The lawyers alleged that Qayoom was being held in jail
on false charges and the government was not even honouring the
orders of the courts.
The KHCBA president, arrested in July last year, was
booked under the Public Safety Act (PSA) for his alleged
involvement in fuelling the last year`s summer protests.
The High Court quashed his detention under the PSA,
but the state government filed two separate cases against him
and lodged him at a Kathua jail in Jammu region.
Qayoom was granted bail by the trial court earlier
this week and was expected to be released Saturday. However,
the relatives of the Bar president were informed that he has
been slapped with a fresh case under the PSA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow