Legislator slaps J&K Assembly marshal
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir legislative Assembly on Wednesday witnessed an ugly scene when an opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) legislator slapped a marshal of the house.
PDP legislators raised a hue and cry in the assembly Wednesday alleging that the state government was trying to protect the sexual assault accused former minister against whom a First Information Report (FIR) has been lodged in Srinagar.
The PDP legislators also alleged that the investigating officer of the case against the former minister has been changed by the authorities to ensure that the investigations could be interfered with to suit the accused.
Speaker Mubarak Gul ordered the assembly marshals to remove shouting PDP legislator Syed Bashir Ahmad, who represents the south Kashmir Rajpoora constituency.
While the marshals were removing the legislator, he slapped one of the marshals, creating an ugly scene in the house.
The PDP legislators also raised the issue of non-availability of rations at a camp of Kashmiri Pandit migrants in the city.
Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) raised the issue of permanent settlement of refugees who have come to Jammu from Pakistan during the India-Pakistan wars of 1947 and 1965.
Later, both the PDP and the BJP members walked out of the assembly, shouting slogans against the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test