Leh, Kargil towns coldest in Kashmir
Srinagar: Leh and Kargil towns in Jammu and Kashmir recorded the coldest temperatures of the season Sunday at minus 17.3 and minus 16.4 degrees Celsius respectively, officials said.
Light snowfall has been forecast on New Year eve here.
Sonam Lotus, director of the Met office here, said the Kashmir Valley will see light snowfall with or without rain Dec 31 and Jan 1.
The minimum temperature was minus 3.7 degrees Celsius in Srinagar. It was minus 7.4 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam and minus 9.6 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg.
Jammu recorded a minimum of 3.5 degrees Celsius, four degrees below normal, Lotus said.
Icy winds blowing from snow-clad mountains into the plains of the Kashmir Valley have added to the intensity of the cold wave.
The traditional 40-day period of harsh winter cold known as the `Chila Kalan’ started Dec 21.
Doctors have asked elders and children in particular to wear adequate woollens to escape cold-triggered respiratory diseases.
“These can be prevented by avoiding sudden exposure to intense cold, wearing sufficient clothing and by taking other allied precautions," said Nisar Ahmad Shah at the government medical college here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter