Leh, Kargil towns coldest in Kashmir
Srinagar: Leh and Kargil towns in Jammu and Kashmir recorded the coldest temperatures of the season Sunday at minus 17.3 and minus 16.4 degrees Celsius respectively, officials said.
Light snowfall has been forecast on New Year eve here.
Sonam Lotus, director of the Met office here, said the Kashmir Valley will see light snowfall with or without rain Dec 31 and Jan 1.
The minimum temperature was minus 3.7 degrees Celsius in Srinagar. It was minus 7.4 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam and minus 9.6 degrees Celsius in Gulmarg.
Jammu recorded a minimum of 3.5 degrees Celsius, four degrees below normal, Lotus said.
Icy winds blowing from snow-clad mountains into the plains of the Kashmir Valley have added to the intensity of the cold wave.
The traditional 40-day period of harsh winter cold known as the `Chila Kalan’ started Dec 21.
Doctors have asked elders and children in particular to wear adequate woollens to escape cold-triggered respiratory diseases.
“These can be prevented by avoiding sudden exposure to intense cold, wearing sufficient clothing and by taking other allied precautions," said Nisar Ahmad Shah at the government medical college here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi