Leopard kills 5-year-old in Kashmir town
Srinagar: In the third such incident in the state within a week, a five-year-old girl was killed in Jammu and Kashmir`s Budgam district after a leopard attacked her while she was playing outside her house.
The big cat ventured into Jaden village, some 20 km from here, Tuesday evening and pounced upon the girl, a police spokesperson said.
The beast took away the girl into a nearby forest, from where her body parts were later recovered by police, he said.
The leopard remained untraced and joint efforts by police and wildlife department are on to locate the man-eater, he said.
This is the third such incident this week, and ninth in the past three months in the Valley.
On August 12, two persons, including a 10-year-old boy, were killed in separate attacks by a wild bear and a leopard in Ganderbal and Kupwara districts of the Valley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon